1 worker killed, 4 hurt in Brooklyn collapse
Hardhats had been working on new home in Gerritsen Beach
By Mark Morales AND Joe Kemp / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Stuart DiMartini is a New York City personal injury lawyer and accident attorney.
Published: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 1:47 PM
Joe Marino for New York Daily News
Scene of building collapse in Gerritsen Beach section of Brooklyn.
A construction worker died and four others were injured when a house they were building collapsed in Brooklyn Tuesday, authorities said.
The 22-year-old hardhat, whose name was not immediately released, was trapped under the rubble on Frank Court near Seba Ave. in Gerritsen Beach shortly after the cave-in about 11 a.m., authorities said.
“We saw him on the floor,” said fellow worker Agusto Romero de Leon Alvarez, 22. “He was moving, but he couldn’t talk.”
Emergency workers soon responded and pulled the man from the debris. He was rushed to Lutheran Medical Center but could not be saved.
Alvarez and three others were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
He said that before the accident, the five men in the crew had been joking that the under-construction two-story house was going to collapse.
“I just felt something was wrong,” Alvarez said. “I saw the support wasn’t strong. I thought something was going to happen.”
Just minutes later, the wood frame began to give.
“It didn’t make a noise at all,” Alvarez said. “It just collapsed nice and easy.”