Call us toll free or use the below form to email us. The consultation is free.
The invitation to contact our firm does not create or establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.
Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
New York City Pedestrian Knockdown LawyersEven with all of the hard work being done to prevent and limit New York City pedestrian knockdown accidents, it is still a sad fact that pedestrians are vulnerable and are hit by a car all too frequently.
Nationwide, approximately 70,000 pedestrians are injured in roadway accidents or crashes each year.Pedestrian traffic is heavy in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and throughout the New York City metropolitan area. While drivers of cars and trucks should be aware of the presence of pedestrians, that is often not the case. When a pedestrian or bicyclist is hit by a car or truck, they can suffer serious injuries and even death.
Vulnerability of Pedestrians
Nationwide, approximately 70,000 pedestrians are injured in roadway accidents or crashes each year.1 There are approximately 4,500 pedestrian traffic related deaths each year, which comprises about 12 percent of all traffic fatalities.2
In New York City, specifically, pedestrians are hit by cars, trucks, or buses approximately 28 times each day. Each year about 151 pedestrians are killed in a traffic related accident in New York City.3
New York City Accident Statistics
The Federal Highway Administration strives to make our roads and highways safer, as does the New York City Department of Transportation. The New York Coty DOT has recently released The New York City Pedestrian Safety Study and Action Plan of August 2010.
According to the study, 2009 annual traffic fatalities were down 35 percent as compared to 2001. DOT plans to work to further reduce that rate. Some of what the study revealed includes the following:
- Pedestrians accounted for 52% of traffic fatalities from 2005-2009
- Driver inattention was cited in nearly 36% of crashes resulting in pedestrians killed or seriously injured
- 27% of crashes that kill or seriously injured pedestrians involved driver failure to yield
- Serious pedestrian crashes involving unsafe speeds are twice as deadly as other such crashes
- 80% of crashes that kill or seriously injure pedestrians involve male drivers
- 79% of crashes that kill or seriously injure pedestrians involve private automobiles as opposed to taxis, trucks and buses
- Serious pedestrian crashes are about two-thirds more deadly on major street corridors than on smaller local streets
- Manhattan has four times as many pedestrians killed or severely injured per mile of street compared to the other four boroughs.
In order to improve pedestrian safety, the Action Plan includes the following:
- Install countdown pedestrian signals at 1,500 intersections
- Re-engineer 60 miles of streets for greater pedestrian safety, according to corridor crash data
- Re-engineer 20 intersections for pedestrian safety on major Manhattan two-way streets
- Launch a pilot program to test the safety performance of neighborhood 20 mph zone
- Implement pilot program to improve visibility at left turn lanes
New York City Pedestrian Knockdown Lawyer
People who are struck by a car or other motor vehicle face a trying and difficult time. There are medical expenses, lost wages, and other hardships. They have unanswered questions.
We understand the hardships victims of a pedestrian knockdown accident face. We know how to help them regain some semblance of their prior life through financial security.
Since 1987, Mr. DiMartini has represented people hit by a car throughout the New York City metropolitan area. He is an experienced New York City pedestrian knockdown lawyer, with a long record of success winning favorable settlements and awards for his injured clients.
If you have been injured in a New York City pedestrian knockdown accident, Mr. DiMartini will explain all of your rights and options to you. If we determine that we are willing to pursue your claim, it is only because we believe that you suffered a serious injury due to the fault of another party or entity. We will aggressively and professionally pursue your claim to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Personal injury law is all we do. We know how to get results!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a New York City pedestrian knockdown accident, we are here to fight for your rights. Call Mr. DiMartini directly at 1.844.299.0030. You can also contact us online. The consultation is free. There is never a fee unless we win your case!
- NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts 2007 Data
- FHWA Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety
- NYDMV Summary of New York City Motor Vehicle Accidents 2008